Monday 24 December 2012

It's Been A While

Okay, a couple of things. First, I've been a bit lax with posts, as you might have noticed over the past month. I've been busy making Christmas gifts for my family, but that's really no excuse. I could have made time if I wanted to. That's what this post pertains to. Maintaining consistency in your writing habits can be a real problem.

Well, why should we keep consistent writing  habits, and not just write when the mood takes us? There are a couple of reasons, but I'll start with the most obvious. There will always be other things, and if you don't set aside at least a little time, you will end up with a lot of ideas and very little on paper. Also, keeping a writing schedule helps keep your story fresh in your mind, avoiding embarassing things like plot inconsistencies.

So, what to do? Think through your day. What time do you have for writing, and how can you use it most effectively? Is it evenings when you most like to write? Set them aside, then. Your morning commute is a chore? Use those few precious minutes to get words on paper.

I suppose the best advice I can give at this point is to soldier on. Even if you don't really feel like writing, do it anyway. Make a commitment that you will get those words written. If you like word count goals, you can set yourself one, like NaNoWriMo. Anything to motivate you. And if you're terrible at motivating yourself, get someone else to do it for you. My sister does a great job.

That's it folks, short and sweet. I'll be back soon with a new kind of post. I've been thinking about how to spice this little blog up, and I think I've got something. See yas.

No comments:

Post a Comment